Thursday, June 24, 2010

Courtship Anniversary

Today marked the one-year anniversary of the beginning of our courtship. Kara, Tim and I met Grace for lunch in Asheville June 19, 2009; we exchanged the following e-mails five days later:
(From Greg) Dear Grace,

I’ve wrestled with how to begin this letter ever since we met for lunch last Friday, because for 27 years I have done my best to put every woman besides Lana in one of two categories:
1. Sister-in-Christ;
2. Potential sister-in-Christ.

I have long considered you to be in the former, and have admired your strength of character and faith in what Lana and I regarded as very trying circumstances.

Life has us both in very different circumstances now, and while it is presumptuous for me to even think that you might have some interest in me as more than a brother, I am wondering if you would be willing to prayerfully explore the idea…

Some things you may or may not know about me that should factor into your answer:
1. I am fully committed to God’s service wherever that may lead;
2. I have no intention to retire in the next 20 years and live the world’s version of “the good life”;
3. Lana and I sold everything we had to go to Nicaragua , and have very little in the way of savings;
4. I tend to live frugally and give generously to others;
5. Kara and Tim are a big part of my life and any decisions made at this stage, and I don’t intend to make any big ones for at least another year.

I’ve known you for 26 years, Grace, but it has mostly been as Ken’s wife and Lana’s dear friend. Since we live a couple of states apart, the logistics of getting to know you better would be challenging, but if you’re game, I would be too!

Looking forward to seeing how God leads,

Greg

(From Grace) Dear Greg,
YES, of course, I'm game!

And I already knew all those things about you. I believe we have a lot of that in common.

I am praying too, about my life and the decisions ahead, and have been praying for you too.
Grace

No comments: