Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Monday, June 29th



This competent young heating and air conditioning diagnostician had "good and bad news" for me; hoping the second would assuage the damages cause by the first, I asked that he start with the bad...

• "Well-sir, your condenser is shot";
• "OK, so what's the good news?";
• "It's only 18 months old, so it's still under warranty-sir";
• “So, you’ll replace it for free!”
• “No-sir, it’ll still cost you $1,150 to replace it”;
• “I thought you said it was still under warranty?”;
• “Yes-sir, the new condenser is free, the cost is for labor, R-22, and hardware we’ll be using… you can talk to my boss if you want-sir”.

I gave “Will” a glass of tea (he’s a really nice young man) and sent him on his way; the call to his boss did earn me a $400 reduction in the repair estimate… "funny" how they can get you to feel good about forking out $750 to replace something that never should’ve broken in the first place.

No comments: